- Outrage as Air Force base in South Carolina boots Nativity scene
- Israel poised for a $173M boost from the U.S. for missile defense
- Leon Panetta named as source of ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ scriptwriter’s information
- Mandela service sign language interpreter: ‘He made up his own signs’
- Pope Francis named Time’s ‘Person of the Year’
- Ben Affleck: Fundraising for Democrats started to ‘feel gross’
- Vladimir Putin orders military to boost presence in Arctic
- Brooklyn, N.Y.: ‘Lesbian capital’ of the Northeast
- Elian Gonzalez: It’s America’s fault that my mother died
- India top court rules homosexuality is illegal
Police superintendent: ‘Chicago does not have strict gun laws’
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy implored the press Monday to stop characterizing the city as being strict on guns.
"One of the things that I would like to again try to clear up, and I ask you to please stop adopting the rhetoric of the gun advocates," Mr. McCarthy said. "Chicago does not have strict gun laws."
"The state of Illinois does not have strict gun laws," he continued.
Despite the superintendent's claims, Chicago has some of the strictest gun-control mandates in the country. "Assault weapons" and high-capacity magazines are completely banned and, until a 2010 Supreme Court decision, so were handguns.
Residents now can get a permit to own a gun, but the process requires training, background checks and a firearm owner's identification card.
Mr. McCarthy, flanked by Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, told reporters that the state needs mandatory minimum sentences for criminals, saying that increasing punishments will help prevent guns from coming into the Chicago from the outside.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- George H.W. Bush joins Twitter
- Gisele Bundchen, Brazilian supermodel, posts 'multitasking' breastfeeding pic
- Chicago-area youth baseball treasurer accused of embezzling $80K
- Galaxy S4 owner claims Samsung tried to silence him after phone caught fire
- Michelle Malkin's Twitchy site sold to owners of Townhall, HotAir: report
Latest Blog Entries
By Donald Lambro
Growth spikes are little more than trend-free anomalies
- Teen thugs in DC run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- New budget accord saves $23 billion -- after $65 billion spending spree
- More than a quarter million sign up for Obamacare in November
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- Gov't Motors: Obama fudges math on auto bailout, $10.5 billion loss for taxpayers
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
News and views on the Civil War.
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow