- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Precedents for papal resignations
The Vatican announced Monday that Pope Benedict XVI will step down on Feb. 28. While such papal resignations are extremely rare, there are precedents in the two-millennia history of the Roman Catholic Church:
• Marcellinus abdicated or was deposed in 304 after complying with the Roman emperor's order to offer sacrifice to the pagan gods.
• Benedict IX sold the papacy to his godfather, Gregory VI, and resigned in 1045.
• Celestine V, overwhelmed by the demands of the office, stepped down after five months as pope in 1294. Pope Benedict XVI prayed at the tomb of this hermetic pontiff in the central Italian city of L'Aquila in 2009.
• Gregory XII, the last pope to resign, stepped down in 1415 to help end a church schism.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.