- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
Netflix, DreamWorks to make original kids series
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Netflix is buffing up its credentials as a popular way for parents to keep their kids entertained.
The subscription video provider said Tuesday that it will team up with DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. to create its first original cartoon series for kids.
The series will be based on DreamWorks' upcoming movie, "Turbo," which is about a snail who gets the power of super speed after getting in a freak accident.
The film, starring Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, Michael Pena and others, opens in theaters July 19. The series will be called "Turbo: F.A.S.T. (Fast Action Stunt Team)" and debut exclusively in December on Netflix.
Netflix has been adding original programming to its roster of movies, and debuted the original series "House of Cards" on Feb. 1.
It has also increased its focus on children's programming in a move seen as taking a different tack than traditional premium pay TV channels such as HBO, Starz and Showtime, whose original shows are tailored more to adults.
In December Netflix announced it will offer Disney movies, starting with films released in 2016. It declined to make a similar deal for the rights to Sony movies starting in 2016, which was kept by Starz in a deal announced Monday.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Senators deluged by complaints void 2-year-old flood insurance plan before 10-day break
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- Warren Buffett's son to spend $23.7 million in effort to save South African rhinos
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again