- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: ‘It’s scary’
- Pro-Russian forces storm Ukrainian national guard base; 3 killed
- Joe Biden’s first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
Comcast to discuss NBC deal during conference call
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Comcast is holding a conference call Wednesday morning to discuss its fourth-quarter earnings and elaborate on a $16.7 billion deal that will give the cable-TV giant full ownership of NBCUniversal. The call with analysts is scheduled to begin at 8:30 a.m. ET.
The decision to buy General Electric Co.'s 49 percent stake came as a surprise when Comcast announced the purchase late Tuesday.
When Comcast acquired a controlling interest in NBCUniversal in 2011, the company planned to take seven years to buy the rest of GE's stake.
But Comcast decided it made sense to work out a deal with GE now because the improved performance of the NBC broadcast network and cable-TV programming made it more likely the price would rise in the future.
Comcast also will review its financial performance for the final three months of last year. The company, which is based in Philadelphia, reported Tuesday that its fourth-quarter earnings rose 18 percent from the previous year while it lost just 7,000 cable-TV subscribers, the lowest rate of attrition in five years. Comcast ended December with 22 million video subscribers.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- NAPOLITANO: Hope for the dead and freedom for the living
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.