- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
Democratic lawmaker heralds Obama as the next FDR
Question of the Day
A Democratic congresswoman is heralding President Obama as the next New Dealing Franklin Delano Roosevelt in gushing praise on the House floor following the Tuesday-evening State of the Union.
"FDR is back," said Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney, New York Democrat, in a report from CNS News. "He had specific programs, a vision. He spoke to the needs of the city I represent, New York — increased gun safety, immigration reform — jobs, jobs, jobs. It was a great speech."
But as Weazel Zippers reports: FDR's economics weren't so great for the nation.
In May 1939, when unemployment surpassed 20 percent, then-Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau said: "We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. I say after eight years of this administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started — and an enormous debt to boot," Weazel Zippers reported.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- 1,250 heroin bags labeled ‘Obama Care’ seized by police
- Cheerleader-to-soldier: Philly Eagles girl turns in pom-poms for rifle
- Most annoying word, 2013: ‘Whatever,’ followed by ‘like’
- Gov. Chris Christie to sign law giving illegals in-state tuition rates
- Dennis Rodman can’t get U.S. basketball stars to go to North Korea: ‘They’re still afraid’
Latest Blog Entries
By John McAfee
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow