- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
Key dates in history of National Broadcasting Co.
Question of the Day
1964 _ NBC broadcasts its first Olympic Games.
1975 _ “Saturday Night Live” debuts.
1984 _ “The Cosby Show” debuts, becomes TV’s biggest hit.
1989 _ “Seinfeld” debuts.
1994 _ “ER” and “Friends” debut, making NBC’s Thursday “must-see TV.”
1995 _ Network launches NBC.com.
1996 _ NBC and Microsoft Corp. launch MSNBC on cable TV and Internet.
2002 _ NBC acquires Spanish-language broadcaster Telemundo and entertainment cable network Bravo.
2004 _ NBC Universal formed after merger with Vivendi Universal Entertainment.
2008 _ Launch of Hulu, online video joint venture with Fox network owner News Corp. ABC later joins.
2011 _ The Federal Communications Commission and the Justice Department approve Comcast’s takeover of NBC Universal with conditions intended to prevent it from keeping NBC programming to itself at the detriment of other cable operators and video websites. NBC Universal loses the space in its name to become NBCUniversal. “Kabletown” replaces GE as the corporate owner on “30 Rock.”
2012 _ NBC airs the Summer Olympics, held in London. While it expected to take a loss on the coverage given the high costs, it breaks even with ratings up compared with the Beijing Games in 2008. And NBC begins showing clear signs of a comeback, improving ratings after nearly sliding into irrelevancy over the previous decade.
TWT Video Picks
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- KEENE: Thinking outside nanny-state box with Paul Ryan
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq