- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay quip
Sen. Rand Paul: We won’t ‘let the liberals tread on the Second Amendment’
Question of the Day
Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul issued a blunt response to the State of the Union Tuesday evening, calling out liberals on gun issues and renouncing President Obama's king-like way of governing.
"We will not let the liberals tread on the Second Amendment," he said, according to a report in Politico, before then turning his attention to Mr. Obama's drone strike against Anwar al-Awlaki. "We cannot and will not allow any president to act as if he were king. We will not tolerate secret lists of American citizens who can be killed without trial."
Mr. Paul's speech is being characterized as a much more in-your-face response than Sen. Marco Rubio's. In his remarks, Mr. Paul also raised the ghost of former President Ronald Reagan, and reminded of that president's 1981 inaugural address, when he referred to government as the problem, rather than the solution.
"President Obama believes government is the solution," Mr. Paul said. "What American needs is not Robin Hood but Adam Smith."
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obama to commute sentences for 8 crack dealers, users due to 'unfair system'
- China hackers breach Washington Post website
- Methodist Church defrocks pastor who performed gay marriage
- Dennis Rodman lands in North Korea, and propagandists prepare
- White House plots new Obamacare PR path: Go for the heartstrings
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- In court filing, NCAA denies legal duty to protect athletes
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Democrats cite pope in call for minimum wage hike, jobless benefits
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Television commentary, reviews, news and nonstop DVR catch-up by Lisa King Dolloff and friends.
Entertainment News and Reviews from Washington, D.C. and beyond.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow