- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Reeva Steenkamp, Oscar Pistorius’ slain girlfriend, was a model looking forward to Valentine’s Day
Olympic star Pistorius charged with shooting and killing Steenkamp
Stunning South African beauty has Reeva Steenkamp has been identified as the model that cops say was killed by her boyfriend of a year Oscar Pistorius, the Olympic track star known as the "Blade Runner."
"We can confirm that Reeva Steenkamp has passed away," Ms. Steenkamp's publicist Sarit Tomlinson told the Associated Press.
"We are in communication with people on the scene, please wait for official statements, as there is too much speculation at this moment in time. We will provide further information as soon as we are able to provide accurate information as to what transpired."
"Our thoughts and prayers go to the Steenkamp family, who have asked to have their privacy respected during this difficult time, everyone is simply devastated. She was the kindest, sweetest human being; an angel on earth and will be sorely missed," the statement continued.
Ms. Steenkamp, 30, had reportedly been dating the track star for about a year - though it wasn't always harmonious. South African news outlets reported that "previous allegations" of a domestic nature had been filed.
Yet, Ms. Steenkamp was looking forward to Valentine's Day with her beau before she was gunned down.
"What do you have up your sleeve for your love tomorrow?" she tweeted ahead of cupid's day. "It should be a day of love for everyone."
On Feb. 1, she tweeted directly to Mr. Pistorius that he was “beautiful,” The Guardian reported. She wrote: “He certainly doesn’t need more followers but he’s beautiful to look at & says some smart stuff too :)”
Ms. Steenkamp, known simply by her first name, Reeva, was one of For Him Magazine’s 100 Sexiest Women in the World for two years in a row, according to AP. Police haven’t formally released her name as the victim, but her publicist has confirmed her death.
This coming weekend, Ms. Steenkamp was supposed to star in a South African reality television series, Tropika Island of Treasure, according to The Guardian.
Fox News reports the suspect – the so-dubbed “Blade Runner” who was a national figure in South Africa after making history in 2012 as the first double-amputee to compete in the Olympics – was released from custody.
Few other details were available, but initial reports were that Mr. Pistorius shot and killed his girlfriend by accident, thinking she was an unwelcome intruder.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.