- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama nominations lock us into downward spiral
Question of the Day
The world has become a dangerous place. The Middle East is in turmoil and Iran is developing a nuclear weapon and the means of delivery, fulfilling its radical ideology of world domination. Europe is facing financial ruin as well as the danger of being Islamized within mere decades. North Korea is threatening South Korea and America. China is becoming a military threat to our allies in the area. Venezuela has become an Iranian bridgehead in South America.
President Obama has selected individuals least qualified to head key government organizations and confront these threats. It is difficult to picture worse candidates for secretary of defense and CIA director than Chuck Hagel and John O. Brennan, respectively. It is a travesty that John F. Kerry has already become secretary of state. All three men share a desire for a downsized U.S. military, have a lack of appreciation for America as the force for peace and democracy in the world, and harbor a naivete regarding the Islamic threat against the free world.
Of course, a president has a right to choose members of his administration, and in this case, Mr. Obama has chosen these three primarily because their viewpoints coincide with his own. However, a president has an obligation to surround himself with knowledgeable people with diverse viewpoints on the major issues of the day. Mr. Obama has failed to do this. Thus continues the downward spiral of this nation.
WARREN A. MANISON
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals