- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama nominations lock us into downward spiral
Question of the Day
The world has become a dangerous place. The Middle East is in turmoil and Iran is developing a nuclear weapon and the means of delivery, fulfilling its radical ideology of world domination. Europe is facing financial ruin as well as the danger of being Islamized within mere decades. North Korea is threatening South Korea and America. China is becoming a military threat to our allies in the area. Venezuela has become an Iranian bridgehead in South America.
President Obama has selected individuals least qualified to head key government organizations and confront these threats. It is difficult to picture worse candidates for secretary of defense and CIA director than Chuck Hagel and John O. Brennan, respectively. It is a travesty that John F. Kerry has already become secretary of state. All three men share a desire for a downsized U.S. military, have a lack of appreciation for America as the force for peace and democracy in the world, and harbor a naivete regarding the Islamic threat against the free world.
Of course, a president has a right to choose members of his administration, and in this case, Mr. Obama has chosen these three primarily because their viewpoints coincide with his own. However, a president has an obligation to surround himself with knowledgeable people with diverse viewpoints on the major issues of the day. Mr. Obama has failed to do this. Thus continues the downward spiral of this nation.
WARREN A. MANISON
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports