- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama nominations lock us into downward spiral
The world has become a dangerous place. The Middle East is in turmoil and Iran is developing a nuclear weapon and the means of delivery, fulfilling its radical ideology of world domination. Europe is facing financial ruin as well as the danger of being Islamized within mere decades. North Korea is threatening South Korea and America. China is becoming a military threat to our allies in the area. Venezuela has become an Iranian bridgehead in South America.
President Obama has selected individuals least qualified to head key government organizations and confront these threats. It is difficult to picture worse candidates for secretary of defense and CIA director than Chuck Hagel and John O. Brennan, respectively. It is a travesty that John F. Kerry has already become secretary of state. All three men share a desire for a downsized U.S. military, have a lack of appreciation for America as the force for peace and democracy in the world, and harbor a naivete regarding the Islamic threat against the free world.
Of course, a president has a right to choose members of his administration, and in this case, Mr. Obama has chosen these three primarily because their viewpoints coincide with his own. However, a president has an obligation to surround himself with knowledgeable people with diverse viewpoints on the major issues of the day. Mr. Obama has failed to do this. Thus continues the downward spiral of this nation.
WARREN A. MANISON
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
Get Breaking Alerts
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Malaysia Airlines says plane on route to Beijing missing
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for feckless president to show resolve
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama reserves 'Chicago way' for GOP
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Public education would wither in free market
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults