- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Tolerance’ should extend beyond liberal borders
I have to laugh at the silliness of the political correctness police. Charles Cunningham (“If ‘Redskins’ offends, so should other names,” Letters, Wednesday) is correct when he writes, “The political correctness police have started their ritual (it happens about every 10 years or so).”
Apparently it is time yet again to fight the name “Washington Redskins.” It seems people who know the least think and talk the most, and this is when they make fools of themselves. Apparently the folks who want the change think the name is racist. But the name refers to a cultural practice, not any race. American Indians were called “redskins” because in war they coated their skin with red pigment clay to embolden themselves and hopefully to frighten the enemy. Even a liberal who takes the time to look carefully will find American Indians do not have red skin.
When I am offended, the left instructs me to be more tolerant and inclusive. This goes both ways. So it is time for all of us to be more tolerant, especially the easily offended left. As a culture, we have to stop asking “How high?” when a politically correct person tells us to jump. It’s time to stand firm and reject silliness, or this culture war will never stop.
FRED C. SEBLY
Mount Airy, Md.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'