- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Normal people not led by movies to kill
Question of the Day
The writer of “Blaming Hollywood for gun violence doesn’t work” (Commentary, Thursday) is correct. Those who rant against violent movies and the like are more than likely looking for an easy target, and violent movies are one.
As professor Ronald Rotunda points out, these accusations are unfair and incorrect. One cannot say that violent movies teach someone how to kill or drill it into people’s mind that it is OK to murder. Although repeatedly seeing violence does inure a person to violence on TV, it doesn’t make it acceptable to them in real life.
People should be looking instead at the background of an individual who wields a gun against others in violence. Was his family broken? Was he a disliked person in his community? Questions like these should be asked before blame for gun violence is assigned to violent movies.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public