- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bill disincentivizes hybrid purchase
Question of the Day
Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell's road-funding bill is a tough pill to swallow ("Virginia negotiators reach transportation deal," Web, Feb. 20). But it's also a bitter pill for Virginia's hybrid-vehicle owners.
Some owners of hybrids may suspect that the annual $100 fee is partly an attempt to appease the majority at the expense of a minority. At the least, it's an ill-conceived idea that defies common sense. There are a couple of reasons why this tax is unfair. First, many hybrid vehicles average less than 30 mpg, and many gas vehicles average more than 30 mpg. Is it fair to tax hybrid-vehicle owners, who pay higher gas taxes, more than many gas-vehicle owners? A fairer, but still unfair option, would have been to tax owners of all vehicles that have mileage ratings above a specified limit.
Second, a hybrid vehicle costs more than its gas-powered equivalent. Car buyers who pay the higher price expect to recoup their investment over the life of the vehicle with lower fuel expenses. Annual fuel savings for most hybrids range between $100 and $200. This tax will reduce or eliminate the biggest incentive to purchase a hybrid vehicle. Therefore, fewer hybrids will be sold and efforts to achieve oil independence will be undermined. I urge area hybrid-vehicle owners to write Gov. McDonnell and ask him to repeal this unfair tax.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By John McAfee
Get Breaking Alerts
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.