- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Senior citizen sharpshooter: Vegas burglar killed by elderly gun owner
A 72-year-old man, who was the victim of a recent burglary, immediately went for his handgun when he heard a commotion in his Las Vegas home early Monday morning.
When the police arrived at Dr. Joseph Piracci’s residence, they found one of the intruders was attempting to flee in a car. The suspect hit a patrol car and then attempted to escape on foot before police took him down.
A second suspect, described as a “Latin male,” was last seen on foot running into a residential neighborhood.
Officers found a third male dead from an apparent gunshot wound in Dr. Piracci’s backyard where a handgun was also found, KLAS reports.
The incident was the second time in three days that a resident in the Las Vegas Valley had grabbed a gun during an attempted burglary and fired at an intruder. Metro police said neither homeowner will face charges.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- U.N. warns of Muslim 'cleansing' in Central African Republic
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Nation's first center that provides abortions and birthing opens in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Tattoo artist draws outrage for inking his dog
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- CPAC 2014: Rand Paul urges conservatives to fight for liberty
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- EDITORIAL: Connecticut revolts against gun controls that could criminalize 300,000
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Malaysia Airlines says plane on route to Beijing missing
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again