- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Women in combat comes with caveats
Letter writer Shelly Burgoyne (“Some women are up to combat challenge,” Thursday) is no doubt an intelligent, courageous and excellent example of a woman who has served our country extremely well, and with honor.
She does not, however, state for how long a period she was able to observe firsthand women who were in combat day in and day out. She stated she did not witness the capture of women by an enemy or whether they were able to withstand and overcome barbarities while in captivity.
It is a matter of record that jihadists in Iraq tortured some American soldiers in the most barbaric and inhumane manner possible before sadistically killing them. It is not that difficult to imagine the ferocity that jihadists, or any foe, would use against women soldiers so ill-fated as to be captured by them. As Ms. Burgoyne notes, there surely are some women out there who could take their places in actual and prolonged combat alongside our country’s best male warriors.
If that happens, however, no matter how noble-sounding it may be to advocate further career opportunities for women through combat assignments, we must be ready to steel ourselves when the headlines are followed by detailed accounts of women soldiers who were tortured and killed after being captured.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist