- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Seattle mayor orders police to back off drone use
Question of the Day
Seattle’s mayor, reacting to widespread complaints and concerns from residents, has ordered the city’s police department to drop plans to use two drones it purchased via a federal grant.
“Today, I spoke with Seattle Police Chief John Diaz, and we agreed that it was time to end the unmanned aerial vehicle program, so that Seattle Police Department can focus its resources on public safety and the community building work that is the department’s priority,” Mayor Mike McGinn said, according to an Associated Press report.
Officials will be returning the drones to the vendor, the mayor said, according to AP.
Seattle’s move comes as the discussion over drone use in the civilian sector has heated. At least 11 states have considered limits or outright prohibitions on police and government use of the technology, AP reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- David Duchovny draws ire with pro-Russia beer ad
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Sarah Palin Channel makes online debut as counter to mainstream media
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq