- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
SHOW BITS: It’s after-party time
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler got thumbs up on Twitter as hosts of this year’s Golden Globes.
“Can Tina and Amy host everything?” one user asked.
Their fellow “Saturday Night Live” alums Kristin Wiig and Will Ferrill also began trending after their bit presenting the award for lead actress in a motion picture comedy or musical.
The pair inaccurately recapped each of the nominee’s films, and when they mentioned Meryl Streep the camera panned to her “Hope Springs” co-star Tommy Lee Jones, who wasn’t laughing.
Soon Jones became a trending topic on Twitter and a clip of the moment went viral.
Viewers also took to social media to lament Daniel Day-Lewis getting the “wrap it up” music during his acceptance speech for the lead actor award.
They called the “Lincoln” actor a living legend who does not deserve to be played off the stage.
Twitter users may also have a longer memory than one might imagine.
“Homeland” is one of the most popular shows on TV, but when Damien Lewis took to the stage to accept his Golden Globe it reminded many of his performance in the HBO miniseries “Band of Brothers.” That became a trending topic too.
_ Alicia Rancilio _ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/aliciar
QUICKQUOTE: “I’m really grateful. We got nominated for seven Oscars, including best picture. I was thrilled. I mean, if you can’t be happy with that, your prospects for long-term happiness are probably pretty dim.” _ Ben Affleck, addressing whether he was upset that he wasn’t nominated for an Academy Award for best director, an award he won at Sunday’s Golden Globes.
_ Anthony McCartney_ Twitter http://www.twitter.com/mccartneyAP
QUICKQUOTE: “How will we celebrate? I’m Australian, c’mon.” _ Hugh Jackman after winning an acting Golden Globe for “Les Miserables,” which also won the award for best musical.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Redskins free agency: 5 positions to watch
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again