- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
SHOW BITS: It’s after-party time
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler got thumbs up on Twitter as hosts of this year’s Golden Globes.
“Can Tina and Amy host everything?” one user asked.
Their fellow “Saturday Night Live” alums Kristin Wiig and Will Ferrill also began trending after their bit presenting the award for lead actress in a motion picture comedy or musical.
The pair inaccurately recapped each of the nominee’s films, and when they mentioned Meryl Streep the camera panned to her “Hope Springs” co-star Tommy Lee Jones, who wasn’t laughing.
Soon Jones became a trending topic on Twitter and a clip of the moment went viral.
Viewers also took to social media to lament Daniel Day-Lewis getting the “wrap it up” music during his acceptance speech for the lead actor award.
They called the “Lincoln” actor a living legend who does not deserve to be played off the stage.
Twitter users may also have a longer memory than one might imagine.
“Homeland” is one of the most popular shows on TV, but when Damien Lewis took to the stage to accept his Golden Globe it reminded many of his performance in the HBO miniseries “Band of Brothers.” That became a trending topic too.
_ Alicia Rancilio _ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/aliciar
QUICKQUOTE: “I’m really grateful. We got nominated for seven Oscars, including best picture. I was thrilled. I mean, if you can’t be happy with that, your prospects for long-term happiness are probably pretty dim.” _ Ben Affleck, addressing whether he was upset that he wasn’t nominated for an Academy Award for best director, an award he won at Sunday’s Golden Globes.
_ Anthony McCartney_ Twitter http://www.twitter.com/mccartneyAP
QUICKQUOTE: “How will we celebrate? I’m Australian, c’mon.” _ Hugh Jackman after winning an acting Golden Globe for “Les Miserables,” which also won the award for best musical.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Mike Shanahan says he'd like to return; RG3 might be benched
- HARRIS: Redskins left in limbo over $7 million question
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow