- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
- Democrat Grimes backs Keystone XL pipeline in Kentucky Senate race
- China spends for 17 new warships as U.S. cuts back military
Bridges need building on highway package
Raising sales tax an opening move
And he privately put the arm on individual lawmakers he summoned to his office.
By Tuesday, a well-choreographed round of emails from House GOP leaders and a few business groups carefully and broadly endorsing his proposal went out to distribution lists that included Virginia’s Capitol press corps.
But the statements masked a number of concerns that have to be resolved over the 34 remaining days of the 2013 General Assembly session.
Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling, spurned by the state GOP in his quest for its gubernatorial nomination and sporting a newfound independent streak, counts himself a supporter of Mr. McDonnell’s plan right now but says it needs work. Mr. Bolling’s personal preference is to revise the gasoline tax, something with a direct tie to highway usage and what he calls “the ultimate user fee.”
“I think the governor believes this bill gives us the best chance we need to pass a transportation bill in the Senate and in the House of Delegates, but I think the governor is open to other ideas,” he said Friday. “It depends on what those ideas are.”
How far will he go?
The governor’s policy team, thirsty for a major victory, says Mr. McDonnell is open to redecorating the room, but not to knocking out the walls and drawing new blueprints. That means the sales tax increase will have to be its centerpiece.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014