- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Cruz to Democrats: Senate ‘hasn’t done its job’ on budget
Senate Democrats agreed Sunday on the need to pass a budget, but took a tough talk stance and added the proposal would contain tax hikes difficult for Republicans to digest. But Republicans swatted back the warning with a quip aimed at highlighting the Democrats' failures to perform.
It's about time the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a budget, said Sen. Ted Cruz, Texas Republican, during an NBC appearance on "Meet the Press."
"There is no doubt the Senate hasn't done its job," he said, in an Associated Press report. "It's been nearly four years since it's passed a budget. The Senate should pass a budget."
The Obama administration has promised a "balanced approach" to fixing the economy, and said the fiscal plan is coming shortly after the inauguration. Also on "Meet the Press" Sunday, Sen. Charles Schumer, New York Democrat, reiterated the budget fix would include higher taxes.
"It's going to have revenues in it," Mr. Schumer said. "And our Republican colleagues better get used to that fact."
The White House maintains tax hikes are a necessity, too.
On an ABC news appearance on Sunday, presidential adviser David Plouffe said Mr. Obama would "only sign a budget deal if it includes new revenues."
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Mike Shanahan says he'd like to return to Redskins
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow