- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
Cruz to Democrats: Senate ‘hasn’t done its job’ on budget
Question of the Day
Senate Democrats agreed Sunday on the need to pass a budget, but took a tough talk stance and added the proposal would contain tax hikes difficult for Republicans to digest. But Republicans swatted back the warning with a quip aimed at highlighting the Democrats' failures to perform.
It's about time the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a budget, said Sen. Ted Cruz, Texas Republican, during an NBC appearance on "Meet the Press."
"There is no doubt the Senate hasn't done its job," he said, in an Associated Press report. "It's been nearly four years since it's passed a budget. The Senate should pass a budget."
The Obama administration has promised a "balanced approach" to fixing the economy, and said the fiscal plan is coming shortly after the inauguration. Also on "Meet the Press" Sunday, Sen. Charles Schumer, New York Democrat, reiterated the budget fix would include higher taxes.
"It's going to have revenues in it," Mr. Schumer said. "And our Republican colleagues better get used to that fact."
The White House maintains tax hikes are a necessity, too.
On an ABC news appearance on Sunday, presidential adviser David Plouffe said Mr. Obama would "only sign a budget deal if it includes new revenues."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- New York Times reporter Carol Vogel accused of plagiarism
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world