- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Cruz to Democrats: Senate ‘hasn’t done its job’ on budget
Senate Democrats agreed Sunday on the need to pass a budget, but took a tough talk stance and added the proposal would contain tax hikes difficult for Republicans to digest. But Republicans swatted back the warning with a quip aimed at highlighting the Democrats' failures to perform.
It's about time the Democrat-controlled Senate passed a budget, said Sen. Ted Cruz, Texas Republican, during an NBC appearance on "Meet the Press."
"There is no doubt the Senate hasn't done its job," he said, in an Associated Press report. "It's been nearly four years since it's passed a budget. The Senate should pass a budget."
The Obama administration has promised a "balanced approach" to fixing the economy, and said the fiscal plan is coming shortly after the inauguration. Also on "Meet the Press" Sunday, Sen. Charles Schumer, New York Democrat, reiterated the budget fix would include higher taxes.
"It's going to have revenues in it," Mr. Schumer said. "And our Republican colleagues better get used to that fact."
The White House maintains tax hikes are a necessity, too.
On an ABC news appearance on Sunday, presidential adviser David Plouffe said Mr. Obama would "only sign a budget deal if it includes new revenues."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Calif. shop facing angry fire pulls 'smart gun' from shelves
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again