- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s same-sex marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
- Obama to give Africa $38M, but tells young leaders: Stop ‘making excuses’ for economy
Health and Human Services Dept.: It’s not an ‘exchange,’ it’s a ‘marketplace’
Question of the Day
Reacting to negative views and grassroots opposition to Obamacare — or the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act — the Health and Human Services Department has dropped all references to "exchanges" in favor of something that rings more of capitalism.
Press statements from HHS now refer to health insurance "marketplaces," not exchanges, in each state.
As Georgetown University Health Policy Institute reported on Jan. 17: "This week, [HHS] began a major push to educate the public about the new health insurance options available ... including the newly-named Health Insurance Marketplace, formerly known as the Federally Facilitated Exchange."
Obamacare opponents are hardly impressed — or fooled.
FreedomWorks, a grassroots group with a mission to advance free market and limited government principles throughout the nation, operates a website dedicated entirely to halting the exchanges, www.blockexchanges.com.
Dean Clancy, the director of health-care policy for the group, said the name-change was indicative of desperation on the part of the administration to boost Obamacare favorability ratings.
"They could call them motherhood or apple pie, but it wouldn't change our feelings about them," Mr. Clancy said, in a Hill report. "We're encouraged that they're showing signs of desperation. I think that it's too late in the game to try to start calling this something different."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq