- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Health and Human Services Dept.: It’s not an ‘exchange,’ it’s a ‘marketplace’
Reacting to negative views and grassroots opposition to Obamacare — or the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act — the Health and Human Services Department has dropped all references to "exchanges" in favor of something that rings more of capitalism.
Press statements from HHS now refer to health insurance "marketplaces," not exchanges, in each state.
As Georgetown University Health Policy Institute reported on Jan. 17: "This week, [HHS] began a major push to educate the public about the new health insurance options available ... including the newly-named Health Insurance Marketplace, formerly known as the Federally Facilitated Exchange."
Obamacare opponents are hardly impressed — or fooled.
FreedomWorks, a grassroots group with a mission to advance free market and limited government principles throughout the nation, operates a website dedicated entirely to halting the exchanges, www.blockexchanges.com.
Dean Clancy, the director of health-care policy for the group, said the name-change was indicative of desperation on the part of the administration to boost Obamacare favorability ratings.
"They could call them motherhood or apple pie, but it wouldn't change our feelings about them," Mr. Clancy said, in a Hill report. "We're encouraged that they're showing signs of desperation. I think that it's too late in the game to try to start calling this something different."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.