- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Mall swells with inauguration crowd
Hundreds of thousands of well-wishers for President Obama were streaming onto the National Mall in front of the Capitol early Monday morning in anticipation of the ceremonial inauguration.
Mr. Obama was officially sworn in just before noon on Sunday in a private ceremony, but the public event was saved for Monday.
Obama jackets and shirts were ubiquitous as the crowd navigated through heavy security that has left most of the monumental capital closed down to vehicles.
Officials are expecting up to 700,000 people to come for the ceremony, which would be far less than 2009's historic inauguration but would still be one of the larger ones in history.
The Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies has vowed to try to tamp down on some of the problems that plagues last time, and signs directing folks where to go are far more visible this year.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at email@example.com.
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- Obama conciliatory on immigration
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Oil production lags on federal lands
- Eric Cantor rejects latest Obama immigration outreach
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Skeptics on all sides take aim of John Kerry's tentative deal on Ukraine
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.