- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Mall swells with inauguration crowd
Hundreds of thousands of well-wishers for President Obama were streaming onto the National Mall in front of the Capitol early Monday morning in anticipation of the ceremonial inauguration.
Mr. Obama was officially sworn in just before noon on Sunday in a private ceremony, but the public event was saved for Monday.
Obama jackets and shirts were ubiquitous as the crowd navigated through heavy security that has left most of the monumental capital closed down to vehicles.
Officials are expecting up to 700,000 people to come for the ceremony, which would be far less than 2009's historic inauguration but would still be one of the larger ones in history.
The Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies has vowed to try to tamp down on some of the problems that plagues last time, and signs directing folks where to go are far more visible this year.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- House defeats Democrats' attempt to rebuke Issa
- Obama declares himself 'champion in chief' for immigration
- Senate blocks Obama's civil rights nominee
- House GOP considers contempt of Congress charge for Lerner
- DEA: Drug cartels look to capitalize on legal marijuana laws
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- Christine O'Donnell eager to re-engage in political debate
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- U.S. tasks Navy destroyer to Black Sea amid Ukraine tensions
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again