- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Conservative isolationists cede fight to liberals
I am disheartened by some of my fellow conservatives and their isolationist attitude. I don’t hold special regard for Glenn Beck, but I find it particularly disconcerting that a fellow of such renown should consider or promote a utopian, libertarian “Disneyland” as an appropriate response to the political challenges that not only conservatives but Americans in general face.
It takes a small mind to believe that the best solution to a problem is to hide from it. It takes an ideological coward to surrender all ground except that which is directly beneath your own feet. The mentality of conservative isolationism will do nothing but promote further socio-political decay toward the political left as demoralized conservatives turn away from our nation and political system — not just geographically, but ultimately, in terms of participation.
Sheltered from the changes of the nation within their ideological and literal walls, the conservative isolationists will surrender fight after fight to the liberal agenda. Convinced that America is merely a powerful idea that will endure within their hearts, isolationists will neglect the real America by depriving the American system of not only their voiced and embattled ideology, but also their democratic collateral. They will surrender their birthright of free speech simply by refusing to talk to anyone who might disagree with them. They will hide their candle under the bushel of pure conservatism, robbing the flame of libertarian ideals of any oxygen to grow and spread. I will remind my friends that walls work not only to keep bad out, but also to contain good.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS