- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Planned Parenthood rebrands ‘pro-choice’ as ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Conservative isolationists cede fight to liberals
Question of the Day
I am disheartened by some of my fellow conservatives and their isolationist attitude. I don’t hold special regard for Glenn Beck, but I find it particularly disconcerting that a fellow of such renown should consider or promote a utopian, libertarian “Disneyland” as an appropriate response to the political challenges that not only conservatives but Americans in general face.
It takes a small mind to believe that the best solution to a problem is to hide from it. It takes an ideological coward to surrender all ground except that which is directly beneath your own feet. The mentality of conservative isolationism will do nothing but promote further socio-political decay toward the political left as demoralized conservatives turn away from our nation and political system — not just geographically, but ultimately, in terms of participation.
Sheltered from the changes of the nation within their ideological and literal walls, the conservative isolationists will surrender fight after fight to the liberal agenda. Convinced that America is merely a powerful idea that will endure within their hearts, isolationists will neglect the real America by depriving the American system of not only their voiced and embattled ideology, but also their democratic collateral. They will surrender their birthright of free speech simply by refusing to talk to anyone who might disagree with them. They will hide their candle under the bushel of pure conservatism, robbing the flame of libertarian ideals of any oxygen to grow and spread. I will remind my friends that walls work not only to keep bad out, but also to contain good.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens