- DCCC chair hopes Alex Sink will run again in November
- U.S., allies threaten ‘further action’ against Russia
- Obama to order businesses to hike overtime pay for salary workers
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- NATO sends surveillance planes to watch Ukraine
- Climate change not a top concern of Americans, poll shows
- GM faces federal investigation for slow recall that led to 13 deaths
- Iran president reaches out to Oman on friendship tour
- FAA’s pre-Malaysia flight warning: 777s have cracking, corrosion issues
3 in GOP want all data on Benghazi
State report ‘incomplete’
Three House Republican leaders on Tuesday demanded copies of all documents from a State Department investigation into the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, calling the publicly released version of the report “incomplete.”
In a letter to outgoing Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, the chairmen of three House panels gave the department until Feb. 11 to produce the documents, which relate to the three-month-long investigation by the State Department-appointed investigative panel, the accountability review board.
“Unfortunately, the [board] did not address some important questions about the attacks in Benghazi, which we believe may contain crucial lessons learned for other U.S. facilities abroad,” wrote Reps. Edward R. Royce and Darrell E. Issa, both of California, and Jason Chaffetz of Utah.
Mr. Royce heads the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Mr. Issa the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, and Mr. Chaffetz the House Oversight and Government Reform subcommittee on national security.
The three Republicans said the review board — which published its report in classified and unclassified versions — failed to interview Mrs. Clinton or her two deputies about their roles in the Benghazi incident.
They also said the report did not explain a decision by Patrick F. Kennedy, undersecretary of state for management, to withdraw from Libya’s capital a 16-member special operations forces detachment that was assisting with security. The decision was made a few weeks before the Benghazi attack.
“Additionally, many questions remain as to why the department maintained an independent and isolated post in an increasingly volatile and dangerous city,” they wrote.
An inquiry last year by Joe Lieberman, a Connecticut independent who has since left the Senate, concluded that it was a mistake not to close the consulate amid a growing tide of concern about deteriorating security in the city in the months before the attack.
The board’s chairman, retired Ambassador Thomas R. Pickering, said the investigation found errors of judgment and failures of leadership at the level of assistant secretary and below.
During a pair of congressional hearings last week, Mrs. Clinton said she had no role in making decisions about security in Benghazi, which proved inadequate to repel the attack.
The three chairmen said they want a video of the attack that was recovered from security cameras at the post; all emails, cables and memorandums received by the secretary and her deputies related to security in Benghazi; and all documents reviewed by the accountability review board.
Sen. Lindsey Graham, South Carolina Republican, said that White House counterterrorism chief John O. Brennan should not be confirmed as CIA director “until our questions are answered” about the Benghazi attack.
“I have not forgotten about the Benghazi debacle and still have many questions about what transpired before, during and after the attack on our consulate,” Mr. Graham said in a statement. “In that regard, I do not believe we should confirm anyone as director of the CIA until our questions are answered.”
U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, State Department official Sean Smith, and former Navy SEALs Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty were killed in the Benghazi attack.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Shaun Waterman is an award-winning reporter for The Washington Times, covering foreign affairs, defense and cybersecurity. He was a senior editor and correspondent for United Press International for nearly a decade, and has covered the Department of Homeland Security since 2003. His reporting on the Sept. 11 Commission and the tortuous process by which some of its recommendations finally became ...
- Senator's memo shows Iran links in Homeland Security's troubled immigration program
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- Dems back bill to fix problems in investor visa program
- Democrats proceed with Mayorkas vote despite pending investigation
- Game players don't think peace has a chance in Syria
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Special ops forces wearing thin from high demand
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Obamacare 3 million shy of target with 19 days left to sign up
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again