- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Stand your ground’ was irrelevant
Question of the Day
I read Donald Lambro’s piece on the George Zimmerman trial and, as with a number of other commentaries, I wondered whether the description was about the same matter I and the jury saw (“Making a case for Trayvon Martin,” Commentary, July 25). Mr. Lambro refers a number of times to Florida’s “stand your ground law,” which had absolutely nothing to do with the case.
The evidence presented showed that the unfortunate victim had attacked Mr. Zimmerman and was beating him and banging his head on the pavement. The jury thought that Mr. Zimmerman acted in self-defense. Everything else is pure speculation, except for Trayvon Martin’s racist comments to his girlfriend, and that he had traces of marijuana in his system. The drink he was carrying was not iced tea. It was a drink that, when mixed with the candy Trayvon was carrying and another ingredient, can cause a high.
Mr. Zimmerman was perhaps overprotective of his neighbors, many of whom had been burglarized, but Trayvon acted like the thug he was and sadly paid the ultimate price for it. Repeal of Florida’s “stand your ground” law will do nothing to avoid similar situations.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job