- Elton John blasts Russia’s anti-gay laws during Moscow concert
- U.N.: Afghanistan slow to enforce law protecting women
- Heart cancels SeaWorld concert after ‘Blackfish’ documentary
- South Carolina sheriff refuses to lower American flag for Nelson Mandela
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson Mandela
- Mandela not on life support in final hours, friend says
- Ukraine protesters topple, decapitate Lenin statue in Kiev
- Kim Jong-un’s uncle removed from North Korean state documentary
- Thailand crisis deepens as opposition quits Parliament
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs’ Pearl Harbor tweet
Mama Bear: Sarah Palin incensed as Bill Maher cracks jokes about ‘retarded’ son
You’re a “bully,” Ms. Palin tweeted. And “I’m in your neck of the woods this weekend [if you] care to meet, so I can tell you how I really feel,” she added.
Mr. Maher during a Saturday evening show referred to her son, 5, as “retarded,” various media reported. The boy has Down syndrome.
Ms. Palin wasn’t the only one to claim offense with the crack. The Blaze reported that another television personality at the Las Vegas event, Ron Futrell, was outraged and had to be escorted from the show after he confronted Mr. Maher — interrupting the show — several times about the joke.
“I’ve got a son with special needs,” Mr. Futrell said, in an interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “It didn’t surprise me that Maher said it. It surprised me that a lot of people laughed at that joke.”
Ms. Palin’s exact words on Twitter, The Blaze reported: “Hey bully, on behalf of all kids whom you hatefully mock in order to make yourself feel big, I hope one flattens your lily white whimsy [expletive]. I’m in your neck of the woods … Care to meet so I can tell you how I really feel?”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Arlington National Cemetery short on graveside wreaths
- Wendy's worker mistakenly serves burger with marijuana joint
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- John Kerry: Israel-Palestinian peace deal 'closer' than ever
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
Latest Blog Entries
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Sen. Rand Paul pushes 'economic freedom zones' for Detroit
- Redskins' season hits bottom with Chiefs blowout
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- FENNO: Mike Shanahan's empty words no salve to free-falling Redskins
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- Sen. Rand Paul: 'I am seriously thinking about' running for president in 2016
- Legalizing illegal immigrants is the solution to Obamacare: Democrat
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Film Reviews and Articles by Kevin Williams
Let it snow
White House pets gone wild!