- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Don’t give Snowden what he wants
We have learned from National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden that intelligence services are involved in gathering intelligence. How remarkable. What have we learned from Mr. Snowden himself other than his self-serving motivations? Why should we accept his self-righteous assertions that he is only interested in exposing alleged criminality and that, by doing so, he will never be safe again?
What evidence is there to suggest that U.S. authorities are out to get Mr. Snowden when all his statements about government power reflect the predispositions of his own politics? Mr. Snowden keeps telling us he does not want to be in the spotlight. What an odd choice he made, then, in seeking exposure on this matter by contacting the global news media.
I hope U.S. authorities will do the right thing and continue to investigate this matter — but without targeting Mr. Snowden himself. That is exactly what he wants. Let’s hope Mr. Snowden will soon be relegated to the life of obscurity he claims to so desire. Then he can finally feel safe from us, and us from him.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Joy Overbeck
Redemption by government is futile
Get Breaking Alerts
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Chavez seizes Cargill factory
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable