- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
National Gallery of Art to undergo $68 million renovation
WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Gallery of Art plans to close its modern art galleries for three years to complete a $68 million renovation to add new galleries and a rooftop sculpture garden.
Federal funds will pay for renovations to the East Building’s infrastructure, totaling $38.4 million. Private donors are contributing $30 million to create 12,260 feet of new exhibition space and a sculpture garden overlooking Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest.
The museum said Wednesday that National Gallery President Victoria Sant and her husband, Roger, are contributing $10 million, along with board member Mitchell Rales and his wife, Emily, and David Rubenstein of the Carlyle Group.
Galleries will close between July and December, with construction set to begin in January.
New galleries in two towers may highlight Mark Rothko and other works from the museum’s collection.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.