- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
National Gallery of Art to undergo $68 million renovation
WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Gallery of Art plans to close its modern art galleries for three years to complete a $68 million renovation to add new galleries and a rooftop sculpture garden.
Federal funds will pay for renovations to the East Building’s infrastructure, totaling $38.4 million. Private donors are contributing $30 million to create 12,260 feet of new exhibition space and a sculpture garden overlooking Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest.
The museum said Wednesday that National Gallery President Victoria Sant and her husband, Roger, are contributing $10 million, along with board member Mitchell Rales and his wife, Emily, and David Rubenstein of the Carlyle Group.
Galleries will close between July and December, with construction set to begin in January.
New galleries in two towers may highlight Mark Rothko and other works from the museum’s collection.
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- MILLER: Obamas EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- NYC alarms with notice: Immediately surrender your rifle
- Pentagon may give recruits 'a shot to start over' after shameful social media posts
- Allen West warns Obamas backdoor gun control is moving forward
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
Playing Through covers the world of PGA golf, as well as tips your the average golfer to play better.
The only thing broken about our immigration policy has been our collective cowardice as a nation to enforce our current immigration laws
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado