- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Spring break nightmare: 6 killed, 5 wounded in mass Cancun shooting
Question of the Day
Masked men open-fired at crowd gathered about a bar in the Mexican tourist hot-spot of Cancun on Thursday, killing six and wounding five.
Police are still trying to uncover the motive, and are seeking suspects, The New York Post reports.
Most of the victims were members of the tax drivers' union, Public Safety Secretary Jesus Aiza said, in The Post.
The gunmen stormed "The Mermaid" bar and unloaded the crowd with automatic rifles, Mr. Aiza said. The killings come at a time when thousands of college-age students from the United States are pouring into Mexico for spring break.
Cancun officials estimate 43,000 will arrive in the coming weeks for tourist-related reasons.
It's the second high-profile crime to hit Mexico's top vacation spots in the past month. In February, The Post reports, six women in nearby Acapulco were captured and raped by hooded gunmen who forced their way into their rented beach home.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- 'No American is proud' of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Sarah Palin's online channel hits snag as Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- Planned Parenthood strikes 'pro-choice' label in favor of 'women's health'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Both parties recognize the Democrats' scam
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world