- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
Dempsey hopes for budget deal to stop sequester of defense spending
Question of the Day
The nation's top military officer said Monday that he hopes, but isn't optimistic, that the automatic spending cuts known as sequestration will "get defused in some future budget deal."
"Meanwhile, we have no choice but to prepare for its full effect, which is of course our worst case scenario," Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told an audience at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.
Gen. Dempsey announced last week on his Facebook page that the Pentagon is reassessing its defense strategy, which focuses on a "pivot" to the Asia-Pacific region, maintaining focus on the Middle East, building global partnerships, and investing in special operations and cyber, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.
"As I stand here, I don't yet know how much our defense strategy will change, but I predict it will. We'll need to re-look our assumptions. We'll need to adjust our ambitions to match our abilities. That means doing less, but not doing it less well," he said.
"It also means relying more on other instruments of power to help underwrite global security. Of course, we won't do this well if we don't back diplomacy and development with sufficient dollars," Gen. Dempsey said. "Our partners will also have to absorb more of the risk."
Under sequestration, the Pentagon will have to cut $46 billion from its budget by Sept. 30 and as much as $500 billion from its 10-year spending plan.
To deal with the budget shortfall, the Pentagon has planned to furlough nearly 800,000 civilian workers, curtail training and maintenance, and cancel some overseas deployments.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kristina Wong is a national security reporter for The Washington Times, covering defense, foreign policy and intelligence affairs. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Despite Pentagon cuts and eye on Pacific, Air Force implored to save the 'Warthog'
- Pentagon welcomes budget deal but says more defense spending needed
- Rep. Hunter to Pentagon: Don't lower combat standards for women
- Scientists raise alarm over plan to destroy Syria's chemical weapons at sea
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
TWT Video Picks
By Ken Allard
Only the National Guard can re-establish homeland security
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi denied freedom by Mexican judge
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener