- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Policy should be bipartisan issue
Question of the Day
President Obama's stimulus package and health care law were partisan, lengthy and unread -- yet they passed and were subject to interpretation and regulations, including the addition of fees and taxes to be written in later. The economy has been slowed, and unemployment remains high. All taxpayers have been saddled with higher and hidden taxes, higher costs for health care and fewer participating physicians and patient services.
The Democrats' agenda on gun control and immigration is to severely restrict law-abiding citizens from owning guns and to add some 30 million more family members of illegal immigrants to our citizen population -- so they can vote for Democrats, no doubt. Republicans had no say in the stimulus and health care bills, and they have not been able to deter Mr. Obama from carrying out onerous Environmental Protection Agency rules.
Transparent, effective policies could be achieved through having all members of Congress debate these issues and by allowing the public to provide input. Freedom of gun ownership provided for in the Second Amendment and priority for citizenship to those who have gone through the legal process should be bottom-line goals for negotiations on these issues.
MARVIN L. HOOVIS
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- Obama takes aim at 'corporate deserters'