- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Policy should be bipartisan issue
President Obama's stimulus package and health care law were partisan, lengthy and unread -- yet they passed and were subject to interpretation and regulations, including the addition of fees and taxes to be written in later. The economy has been slowed, and unemployment remains high. All taxpayers have been saddled with higher and hidden taxes, higher costs for health care and fewer participating physicians and patient services.
The Democrats' agenda on gun control and immigration is to severely restrict law-abiding citizens from owning guns and to add some 30 million more family members of illegal immigrants to our citizen population -- so they can vote for Democrats, no doubt. Republicans had no say in the stimulus and health care bills, and they have not been able to deter Mr. Obama from carrying out onerous Environmental Protection Agency rules.
Transparent, effective policies could be achieved through having all members of Congress debate these issues and by allowing the public to provide input. Freedom of gun ownership provided for in the Second Amendment and priority for citizenship to those who have gone through the legal process should be bottom-line goals for negotiations on these issues.
MARVIN L. HOOVIS
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
Get Breaking Alerts
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear C.I.A. caught flat-footed
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Wal-Mart forced to apologize for 'mistake' favoring English-speaking shoppers
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Solution to Cyprus dispute is no 'mistake'
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's real wealth redistribution scheme
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare numbers nothing to celebrate
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Unanswered bus-crash questions
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lerner won't face meaningful punishment