- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Policy should be bipartisan issue
Question of the Day
President Obama's stimulus package and health care law were partisan, lengthy and unread -- yet they passed and were subject to interpretation and regulations, including the addition of fees and taxes to be written in later. The economy has been slowed, and unemployment remains high. All taxpayers have been saddled with higher and hidden taxes, higher costs for health care and fewer participating physicians and patient services.
The Democrats' agenda on gun control and immigration is to severely restrict law-abiding citizens from owning guns and to add some 30 million more family members of illegal immigrants to our citizen population -- so they can vote for Democrats, no doubt. Republicans had no say in the stimulus and health care bills, and they have not been able to deter Mr. Obama from carrying out onerous Environmental Protection Agency rules.
Transparent, effective policies could be achieved through having all members of Congress debate these issues and by allowing the public to provide input. Freedom of gun ownership provided for in the Second Amendment and priority for citizenship to those who have gone through the legal process should be bottom-line goals for negotiations on these issues.
MARVIN L. HOOVIS
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates