- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
Obama immigrant release included drunk drivers
Question of the Day
The Obama administration’s top deportation official acknowledged on Tuesday that he could have asked Congress for flexibility to avoid having to release more than 2,000 immigrants back onto the streets ahead of the budget sequesters, but he decided the releases were a better option.
John Morton, director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, also said that some of those he has had to release have multiple drunk-driving offenses on their record, since those are not considered level one cases. He did not provide exact numbers.
Mr. Morton’s decision to release 2,228 immigrants over a three-week period in February has become a major flashpoint in the debate over sequestration — the automatic budget cuts that took effect March 1.
He said his choice was between releasing immigrants or furloughing agents and cutting down on drug and child pornography investigations, and he said he wasn’t going to do that.
“I did not want to rob Peter to pay Paul,” Mr. Morton said.
Republicans, though, said that was setting up a false choice.
“I don’t want Peter or Paul to rob one of our fellow citizens because you guessed wrong on who to release,” replied Rep. Trey Gowdy, a South Carolina Republican who said he suspects politics was behind the decision.
Mr. Morton provided some more details about the releases, saying that of the 2,228 immigrants who were released because of budget reasons eight were level one offenders — the worst level.
Four of those have been re-arrested after the agency decided they were too dangerous to leave on the streets. In two cases the computer records that led to their release were wrong, while in another case local officials made a mistake and didn’t carry out their instructions properly, he said.
One level one case who is still on supervised release was a 68-year-old man who’s been a legal permanent resident for 44 years. He is in deportation proceedings because of theft and drug offenses, Mr. Morton said.
“There are no mass releases of dangerous criminals underway,” Mr. Morton said. “Just efforts to live within our budget.”
ICE initially blamed the sequesters for the need to make the releases, but has since said it likely would have had to release the detainees anyway.
Mr. Morton said his agency is budgeted to maintain 34,000 detention beds but had already been operating over budget for the first five months of fiscal year 2013 because it had been helping hold illegal immigrants for the U.S. Border Patrol. At some points it was staffing more than 36,000 beds.
Mr. Morton said that meant they’d have to drop their average detention in order to end up at an average of 34,000 by the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30.
He said they all are still subject to deportation and remain under some form of supervision.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at email@example.com.
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014
- Wind farms: Interior Department sacrifices eagle protection for alternative energy
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Bipartisan House votes against 'patent trolls' who file lawsuits against innovators
- Bipartisan House votes to stop patent 'trolls'
Latest Blog Entries
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- House pushes through two-year Ryan-Murray budget deal
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- N. Korean news agency: Kim Jong Un's uncle executed
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- White House improvises again on patchy Obamacare rollout
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Chef Mary Moran discusses the food we eat, where it comes from and what it does for us.
An informed and often humorous take on the world of advertising, public relations and social media. 100% Pure. Not from concentrate.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow