- New Mexico decides to use HealthCare.gov for 2015
- Satanists to use Hobby Lobby rule to skirt state abortion laws
- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
Review: Smith realizes promise with comeback
Question of the Day
Alice Smith, “She” (RainWater Recordings/Thirty Tigers)
Six years is a long time to build up anticipation.
That’s how long it’s been since Alice Smith released her sultry, soulful 2007 debut, “For Lovers, Dreamers & Me.” With that album, the singer-songwriter was tagged with that coveted “next big thing” title. And then … silence.
She went through the label maze, had a child, performed here and there, but “She” is her first collection of music since that promising first album.
With her sophomore album, Smith shows the promise is still there. Vocally, Smith is still a powerhouse who vacillates between smoldering and soaring; lyrically, she can still craft ear-catching couplets, like on “The One.” Still, the magic that made “For Lovers” so strong, and enduring, is largely missing from “She.” Technically, she gets points, but few songs on the album stir the soul quite like its predecessor: Much of the spark of that album was due to an irreverent sass that’s missing here. Maybe she just grew up, but “She” sounds a bit staid at times. The most vital performance on the album is her cover of “Fool for You” by CeeLo Green _ who could teach her a thing or two about vibrance.
Follow Nekesa Mumbi Moody on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/nekesamumbi
TWT Video Picks
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq