- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
North Dakota legislators mull ban on all abortions
Lawmakers in North Dakota — where abortion laws are already among the most restrictive in the nation — are now considering a personhood bill that would outright ban the procedure.
The House could soon vote on two separate personhood bills that already passed the Senate, CBS reports. At least one of the bills defines human life as starting at conception — and that, in effect, would ban all abortions.
Abortion activists already vow to challenge the ban in court, if it's passed into law. And fertility doctors claim the bill as it's currently worded would prohibit in vitro fertilization procedures — a claim that bill supporters refute.
Sen. Margaret Sitte, who supports the bill, says in the CBS report she was "floored" by accusations that in vitro procedures would be banned. The text, she said, gives clear exemptions for "screening, collecting, preparing, transferring, or cryopreserving a human being created through in vitro fertilization for the purpose of being transferred to a human uterus," CBS reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.