- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
Women’s brains smaller than men’s, but used more efficiently
A new study has revealed that while female brains are smaller than those of males, females use their brains more efficiently, achieving the same results.
A team of neuroscientists from the University of California and Madrid studied the discrepancies between the male and female brains. They specifically focused on a part of the brain called the hippocampus, which is a center of emotional and memory function, according to the Daily Mail.
A larger hippocampus in males results in an increased presence of neurons, leading to a higher intelligence in men, the researchers said. In women, however, it appeared that the smaller the hippocampus was, the smarter the woman would be by using less energy and fewer brain cells to achieve the same results a man does. This led researchers to believe that the brain matter of women operates in a more efficient manner.
The study found that while female brains are typically eight percent smaller than those of males, they were of equal intelligence.
"At this structural level, females might show greater efficiency requiring less neural material for achieving behavioral results on a par with males," the researchers wrote.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Carnival Triumph passengers seeking $5,000 a month for life
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for 'outside' cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- President Obama goes 'Between Two Ferns' to pitch Obamacare
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Hard-fought congressional election in Florida is seen as a bellwether
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again