- Arkansas voter ID law struck down by state judge
- FDA proposes ban on e-cigarette sales to minors
- Bad omen? Italian man crushed to death by John Paul II crucifix
- Company stopped from accepting abortion waste
- Girl surprises Michelle Obama with unemployed dad’s resume
- ‘Harry Potter’ religion class seeks to enlighten students on ‘God, sin, and theodicy’
- ‘Optionally piloted’ Black Hawk helicopter clears tests; future missions to go ‘fully unmanned’
- Vice News reporter kidnapped in Ukraine is freed after being beaten, blindfolded
- FCC’s new ‘net neutrality’ proposal sparks outrage among consumer advocates
- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
Pope Francis to 800 nuns: Don’t be ‘spinsters’
Pope Francis said to a crowd of 800 nuns at the Vatican on Wednesday: Be obedient to the church, be spiritual “mothers” — but don’t be “spinsters.”
The 76-year-old pontiff made the remarks at the assembly of the International Union of Superiors General. He also told the nuns to shoot for “fertile chastity — a chastity which produces spiritual children within the church,” Agence France-Presse reported.
“The ordained woman is a mother. She must be a mother and not a spinster,” he said to the gathered nuns, who hailed from religious orders in 75 countries, AFP reported. “It is not possible to understand [the Virgin] Mary without maternity, nor the church without motherhood.”
By way of context for the statements: The pope in April supported a report from the previous church leader, Benedict XVI, that accused nuns in the United States of forming a rebellion against Catholic principles.
On Wednesday at the Vatican, Francis reminded the nuns to “remember that the relationship between authority and obedience is located within the context of the mystery of the church,” AFP reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- good to go test
- another test dont post this please
- Russia poised to ban curse words in movies, concerts
- USF decrees: No onstage selfies during graduation ceremonies
- test do not post
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Only IRS employees could expect rewards for failing to pay their taxes
- Holder cancels appearance in OKC amid angry protests
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Gun control supporters send message to NRA
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Nevada rancher's racial remarks cost him range of support
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014