- New Mexico decides to use HealthCare.gov for 2015
- Satanists to use Hobby Lobby rule to skirt state abortion laws
- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
U.S. seizes 200,000 Chinese dolls made with banned chemicals
Question of the Day
A Chinese toy manufacturer had an interesting present for Americans this holiday season — 200,000 dolls containing banned chemical compounds.
U.S. authorities have seized the dolls at several ports. The dolls contained high levels of phthalate, a chemical plasticizer used to make materials softer and more flexible.
Congress has banned the use of phthalate in children’s toys.
Since April, 10 shipments worth roughly $500,000 were taken from ports in Chicago; Dallas; Los Angeles; Norfolk, Va.; Memphis, Tenn.; Newark, N.J.; Portland, Ore.; and Savannah, Ga. As of Tuesday, authorities had not identified the toy manufacturer.
The U.S. Commercial Targeting and Analysis Center has spearheaded the effort to keep the toys off the American market.
“Using advanced technology to track certain shipments before they reach our shores is helping CPSC better protect America’s consumers,” said Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Inez Tenenbaum.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- Gen. Martin Dempsey: U.S. viewing decades-old Russian readiness plan
- Russia sends Iraq fighter jets, helicopter gunships for ISIL fight after meeting in Moscow
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq