- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Obama phones Iranian president; first talks with Tehran since Carter
Question of the Day
President Obama said he and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani spoke by phone Friday, marking the first president-to-president communication since 1979.
Mr. Obama said he and Mr. Rouhani spoke about Iran’s nuclear program and said they would both try to pursue a deal that would defuse a potential crisis over the U.S.’s belief that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons.
“I do believe that there is the basis for a resolution,” Mr. Obama said, though he warned of difficulties.
Mr. Obama said the challenges are underscored by the fact that this was the first direct communication between a U.S. president and an Iranian president since 1979, when the Shah was overthrown and the Islamic Republic was installed.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- GOP to sue Obama first over health care employer mandate
- McConnell: Border crisis 'getting worse by the day'
- Democrats take aim at First Amendment rights
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- 'Be a leader' Perry tells Obama to confront border crisis
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs