- New Mexico decides to use HealthCare.gov for 2015
- Satanists to use Hobby Lobby rule to skirt state abortion laws
- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
Video shows al Qaeda hoisting flag atop Syrian Catholic church
Question of the Day
Video footage released by a news outlet in Dubai shows militants from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, an umbrella organization of Iraqi insurgent groups operating in Syria, raising the al Qaeda flag above the Melkite Greek Catholic Church of the Lady of the Annunciation in the northern Syrian city of al-Raqqa.
Al-Aan TV reported that militants attempted to dismount the church’s bell while chanting “Allahu Akbar.” They removed the church’s cross and hoisted the al Qaeda flag on top.
The militants also ransacked the church. In one part of the footage, a militant on the roof of the building threw a crucifix down to the children watching below. A Saudi militant then explains to the children that the cross is worshiped by “Nazarenes,” a sect of Christians, and Syrian President Bashar Assad.
According to the report, the militant then steps on the cross.
The organization has begun setting up private schools in the rebel-held areas to spread its indoctrination.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Pro-Palestinian protesters stage 'die-in' outside Seattle Boeing offices
- Mass. superintendent fined for plagiarizing graduation speeches
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
- Diapered toddler crashes Jeep, runs home to watch cartoons
- Chicago-area cop kills dog in front of 6-year-old owner, witnesses say
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq