- The Washington Times - Sunday, September 8, 2013

Fort Hood shooter Nidal Malik Hasan has been dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Army and will be referred to simply as “inmate Nidal Hasan” from here on, military officials told a local NBC affiliate.

Chris Haug, chief of media relations at Fort Hood said, according to the senior judge advocate general at the base, that Hasan, who had the rank of major, is “no longer a military serviceman. He has no rank and is dishonorably discharged from the Army” following his court-martial and sentencing for the mass shooting at the military post in Killeen, Texas, in 2009.


SEE ALSO: Maj. Nidal Hasan finally forcibly shaved at Fort Leavenworth


A jury panel of thirteen officers convicted Hasan of 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted murder. On Aug. 28, a military jury sentenced him to death.

A panel also ordered that he be stripped of his military pay, but it won’t take effect until two weeks after his sentencing, meaning Hasan will continue to receive his full military salary until Tuesday, NBC 5 reported.

Earlier this year, NBC 5 reported that the Department of Defense showed Hasan had been paid about $300,000 after his arrest, and it is unlikely the money will be returned to the military.

The Army has paid the Bell County (Texas) Sheriff’s Office nearly $650,000 to house Hasan, NBC 5 reported.