- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
24 soldiers to receive Medal of Honor from White House
President Obama will award the Medal of Honor to 24 Army veterans for gallantry displayed in past conflicts, the White House announced Friday. All but three of the recipients will be awarded the medal posthumously.
“These veterans will receive the Medal of Honor in recognition of their valor during major combat operations in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War,” the White Housestatement read. “Each of these Soldiers’ bravery was previously recognized by award of the Distinguished Service Cross, the nation’s second highest military award; that award will be upgraded to the Medal of Honor in recognition of their gallantry, intrepidity and heroism above and beyond the call of duty.”
The recipients resulted from a congressionally mandated review of war records of Jewish and Hispanic American soldiers. The review sought to find those who had been denied the Medal of Honor because of prejudice.
“In 2002, Congress, through the Defense Authorization Act, called for a review of Jewish American and Hispanic American veteran war records from WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, to ensure those deserving the Medal of Honor were not denied because of prejudice,” read the statement.
During the review, many soldiers of neither Hispanic or Jewish decent were found to have displayed heroism on the battlefield that was worthy of the medal.
Recipients who will be awarded the Medal of Honor posthumously include:
• Staff Sgt. Salvador J. Lara, WWII
• Pvt. Pedro Cano, WWII
• Sgt. Alfred B. Nietzel, WWII
• 1st Lt. Donald K. Schwab, WWII
• Pfc. William F. Leonard, WWII
• Staff Sgt. Mauel V. Mendoza,WWII
• Pvt. Joe Gandara, WWII
• Sgt. Jesus Duran, Vietnam War
• Staff Sgt. Felix Conde-Falcon, Vietnam War
• Spc. Leonard Alvarado, Vietnam War
• Sgt. Candelario Garcia, Vietnam War
• Spc. Ardie Copas, Vietnam War
• Cpl. Victor H. Espinoza, Korea
• Sgt. Juan E. Negron, Korea Pvt.
• Miguel Armando “Nando” Vera, Korea
• Pfc. Demensio Rivera, Korea
• Sgt. Jack Weinstein, Korea
• Pfc. Leonard M. Kravitz, Korea
• Sgt. Eduardo Corral Gomez, Korea
• Cpl Joe R. Baldonado, Korea
• Master Sgt. Michael C. Pena, Korea
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Soldier who hid to avoid saluting the flag to be punished in secret; Army won't release details
- 'Top Gun' school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Navy's first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer LaWS to deploy this summer
- State Dept. Twitter account needles jihadists daily: Try 'not murdering women and children'
- Al Qaeda kills accused U.S. spy, hangs him from soccer goal posts in Yemen
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- High schooler suing parents for money shot down by judge
- Italy outraged over U.S. gun dealer's 'David' ad
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared?
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again