- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Sen. Claire McCaskill to tackle sex assault at college next
- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
IRS accused of targeting Hollywood conservatives
The New York Times reported the group has stayed behind the scenes and secret, mostly out of fear of backlash from movie executives with more liberal leanings. But the IRS has dragged the group from the shadows with high-profile queries about its members’ meetings with 2012 vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan, as well as other get-togethers with then-Michigan Rep. Thaddeus McCotter and presidential hopeful Herman Cain.
Newsmax reported that in 2011, Clint Howard — a conservative actor and the brother of director Ron Howard — said conservatives in Hollywood still have “trepidations” about showing their political leanings because they worry it could damage their acting careers.
“For years, conservative-minded people have been kind of subjected to a lot of — I wouldn’t say bullying, no it’s not bullying,” he said, to Newsmax. “Conservative-minded people have been subjected to a very liberal work place, and it has been frustrating.”
The IRS just recently fielded fire for charges that its employees targeted tea party activists and improperly delayed their nonprofit applications.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Taliban vow to 'use all force' to disrupt Afghan elections
- Sbarro pizza chain files second bankruptcy in three years
- Bishop in Aleppo: 'We Christians live in fear in Syria'
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- President Obama goes 'Between Two Ferns' to pitch Obamacare
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Hard-fought congressional election in Florida is seen as a bellwether
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again