- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Central American leaders: I need help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
BOTEACH: Mr. President, my kids are running to bomb shelters in Jerusalem
Question of the Day
This week gave me two contrasting images of suffering. In Brazil I watched the faces of soccer fans as they cried, mourning the loss of their national team in the World Cup after being destroyed by Germany 7-1. An hour later I received a video from my own children showing them running to a bomb shelter in Jerusalem after the rocket siren went off. They were on their way to dinner with my nephew and his pregnant wife, who are visiting from Los Angeles. A quiet, warm evening was replaced by shrieking and terror as they ran through the streets, finally finding a shelter near the old city of Jerusalem. They only left the shelter after they heard the explosions in the sky of the Iron Dome anti-missile system neutralizing the rocket in midair.
My four children who are currently in Israel tell me not to worry. That running to shelters is common. Our daughter, who served in the army, says she remembers countless occasions like this. What is more tragic? A tiny democracy that had more than one million people in bomb shelters on Tuesday night? Or the fact that the citizenry are so accustomed to running to bomb shelters that they consider it normal?
The response of the United States has been appalling. President Obama is calling on all parties to show restraint. Let me repeat that. The President of the United States is calling on the elected officials of democratic Israel and the bloodthirsty terrorists of Hamas to show restraint. To whom is he directing his appeal? Hamas’s charter calls for the annihilation of Jews wherever they may be found. Does the President think that Hamas gives one damn for his calls for restraint? And where is the outright, unconditional condemnation of Hamas for firing rockets at children?
Mr. President, my four children, American citizens all, are running to bomb shelters in the Israeli capital while you’re asking terrorists to show restraint. For goodness sake, Mr. President: Do the moral thing. Say outright that the United States stands with Israel fully, completely, and unreservedly. That it supports the right of Israel to enact all military measures to defend its citizens. That it utterly condemns Hamas for its terrorism and will never recognize Hamas in any shape or form, other than to recognize it as a terror entity that must be destroyed. That it will supply Israel with everything it needs to eradicate the Hamas terror network in Gaza. That the United States, in having experienced the horrors of 9/11, understands the threat Israel is facing and stands with democratic countries everywhere, especially its most reliable ally, in defeating terrorists wherever they may be found.
Mr. President, this is a moral issue, and you are a moral man. Do the right thing. This is not a time to be neutral. America is not Switzerland. Get off the fence.
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the international best-selling author of 30 books and Founder of This World: The Values Network.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore