- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
Obama admin. cancels regional military exercise due to Uganda’s gay sex laws
Question of the Day
The Obama administration canceled a regional military exercise in Uganda on Thursday due to the country’s gay sex laws. The African nation implemented a bill in February that makes gay sex an offense that could land individuals a life sentence in prison.
“The idea is to send a signal to perpetrators and would-be perpetrators that we are indeed monitoring, that we are indeed prepared to take measures, and that there are consequences,” a senior administration official told Reuters Thursday. The White House specifically wants to target those responsible for abuses connected with the anti-gay laws’ implementation.
When the bill was signed in February, Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni blasted the United States for saying the law would complicate its relationship with the country.
“We Africans never seek to impose our view on others,” Mr. Museveni said, the Associated Press reported. “If only they could let us alone. We have been disappointed for a long time by the conduct of the West. There is now an attempt at social imperialism.”
In addition to the canceled military exercises, the U.S. also imposed visa restrictions on individuals and cut funding for a Ugandan police program, Retuers reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- Gen. Martin Dempsey: U.S. viewing decades-old Russian readiness plan
- Pentagon official: Syrian terrorism 'probably the number one threat' to U.S.
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq