- The Washington Times - Monday, March 10, 2014

George Zimmerman spent Saturday signing autographs and snapping photos with customers and fans at the New Orlando Gun Show.

Over the course of six hours, fewer than 20 people lined up to see Mr. Zimmerman, who was acquitted last year in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. He was stationed in a rear office of The Arms Room gun store, the New York Daily News reported.

The show was originally set to be held at the Majestic on John Young Parkway, but organizers said the venue canceled late Thursday after getting negative feedback about Mr. Zimmerman’s planned appearance, WESH reported.

“They told us they canceled for community pressure,” organizer Mike Piwowarski told the station. “They were getting phone calls and backlash, and didn’t want that kind of person there.”

Fox 35 asked Mr. Zimmerman if he felt his appearance at the gun show could be viewed as antagonistic.

“I don’t worry about people that say it’s antagonistic,” he said. “To be honest with you, like I said, the importance was to support the people that supported me.”

“I’m willing to talk to everyone and try and answer their concerns or questions, and [have] them realize there’s no need to be angry,” he said.

Mr. Zimmerman told the station that he doesn’t consider himself a celebrity, even though he had signed up for a celebrity boxing match that eventually got canceled.

He also recently sold a painting of the American flag for $100,000.

Mr. Zimmerman said he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and has received pro bono treatment from mental health professionals. He said he still wears a bulletproof vest for protection due to death threats, Fox 35 reported.

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Click to Read More

Click to Hide