- The Washington Times - Friday, September 19, 2014

The family of Glen Doherty, the former Navy SEAL killed in the 2012 Benghazi terror attack, has filed a $2 million claim against the CIA and the State Department.

Barbara Doherty, the CIA contractor and former SEAL’s mother, filed a claim last week with the two government agencies for $1 million each. The family does not believe there was adequate security at the U.S. diplomatic outpost and a CIA annex when they were attacked Sept. 11, 2012.

Dean Boyd, a spokesman for the CIA, said the agency would have no comment on the potential litigation, the Associated Press reported Friday. The State Department also declined to provide comment to the wire service.

Michael Mortenson, a California attorney representing the Doherty family, told AP that his clients have tried to “reach a resolution” with the federal government for two years, but to no avail. Their efforts included outreach to CIA Director John Brennan.

“We know Glen would have done anything to support the United States and protect our freedom as Americans. Two years after the Benghazi attack, our family has not received the symbolic justice all families of such American heroes deserve,” said Barbara Doherty, who lives in Woburn, Mass., AP reported.

The former SEAL’s mother said that the family chose to file its claim “reluctantly … now proceeding to pursue those legal avenues open to us,” AP reported.

Three other Americans died in the Sept. 11, 2012 terror attack in Libya, including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide