- The Washington Times - Thursday, December 17, 2015

Carolyn Walker-Diallo, one of the newest judges in New York City, has been receiving threats after taking her oath of office last week with her hand placed on a Koran, police sources said this week.

Judge Walker-Diallo was elected last month to preside over Brooklyn’s 7th Municipal District and took her oath of office last Thursday using the Muslim holy book. While judges typically opt to “swear” their pledge, individuals with religious objections to invoking God in an oath are allowed to “affirm” their oath, as did Judge Walker-Diallo.

Law enforcement sources told the New York Post on Wednesday that the judge received two threatening phone calls the morning prior while at Kings County Criminal Court.

“You are not an American because you got sworn in on a Koran,” a male caller allegedly told the judge early Tuesday, the police source told the paper.

“You’re a terrorist; we are going to get you,” a second caller, a female, reportedly said in a second phone call moments later.

The threatening phone calls echo comments published on social media this week in response to a video uploaded by Muslim community organizer Mohammed Mujumder in which Judge Walker-Diallo is seen taking her oath with her hand atop the Koran. Footage of the ceremony has been viewed on Facebook more than a half-million times and garnered over 2,500 comments from account holders as of Thursday morning.

“Pray for the world as it is in shambles,” wrote one Facebook user in response to the clip.

“Another piece of [expletive] Muslim,” said another user, “trying to take over this country.”

Sadyia Khalique, the director of operations for the New York chapter of the Council on American–Islamic Relations, CAIR, told the New York Daily News that the social media response has been “horrific.”

“This is a proud moment for her, and to have this much criticism is just really sad. In our society, there is so much hate,” she said.

Amid a surge in Islamophobia widely attributed to recent terrorist attacks blamed on Muslim extremists, Facebook, Twitter and Google agreed this week to implement new procedures for users in Germany in which complaints concerning hate speech will be handled within 24 hours.

“There’s no place for content such as hate speech, incitement or glorification of violence on Facebook. We urge people to use our reporting tools if they find content that they believe violates our standards so we can investigate and take swift action. We complete the review of the vast majority of reports within 24 hours,” a representative for Facebook said this week.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide