- Associated Press - Sunday, May 22, 2016

THIBODAUX, La. (AP) - Lawyers for a man convicted of killing a man who was lying in his grandparents’ driveway say they won’t ask the judge for a new trial.

Formal sentencing is scheduled Monday for 33-year-old Robert Chouest (SHWEST) of Cut Off, but it has been delayed three times and could be delayed again.

Judge John LeBlanc convicted Chouest in January of second-degree murder of 41-year-old Shawn Galjour of Larose. The charge carries a mandatory life sentence.

A jury had deadlocked on the case, and Chouest decided that his second trial would be without a jury.

Defense attorney George Ledet Jr. could have asked LeBlanc to change his mind, but The Daily Comet reports (https://bit.ly/1WIVSUH ) that he confirmed in court Friday that he has decided not to.

Ledet declined to comment further.

The jury forewoman said in court last year that the majority had voted guilty.

Chouest testified during his trial that he’d been up for three days and consumed crystal methamphetamine, five rocks of crack cocaine, about six beers and several pain pills. He said he told his grandfather right after the shooting that he thought he’d shot an alligator.

Galjour’s father testified during the trial that his son was known to walk the streets after drinking. Toxicology tests showed the victim’s blood-alcohol concentration was .140

___

Information from: Daily Comet, https://www.dailycomet.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide