- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Around the Nation
Recovering senator raises $1.3 million
Ailing Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota has raised more this year than he did during the same period six years ago, even though he hasn’t set foot in the Senate since suffering a life-threatening brain hemorrhage in December.
Mr. Johnson, a Democrat who is up for re-election next year, has been recovering in the hospital and at home since Dec. 13. It is not clear when he will return to the Senate and whether he will run for re-election.
But his Senate colleagues have cleared his way by holding multiple fundraisers, ultimately raising $1.3 million for him this year. That’s about $300,000 more than he raised in the first six months of 2001, the year before his last election.
Though Republicans have remained mostly quiet about the race as Mr. Johnson recovers, two persons have stepped forward to run. Republican state Rep. Joel Dykstra said earlier this month he would seek his party’s nomination. In May, Sam Kephart, a self-employed Republican businessman from Spearfish, said he would run.
High school attack foiled by police
YAPHANK, N.Y. — Two teenagers were charged with conspiring to attack a Long Island high school after a chilling journal and videotape surfaced in which one teen identifies several potential victims by name, authorities said yesterday.
“I will start a chain of terrorism in the world,” a 15-year-old suspected of planning the assault purportedly wrote in the journal, which led to his arrest. “This will go down in history. Take out everyone there. Perfecto.”
Both teens were charged with misdemeanor conspiracy, punishable by up to a year in jail. The 15-year-old was scheduled to appear in juvenile court yesterday; the second suspect, 17-year-old Michael McDonough, pleaded not guilty.
Man sentenced in Civil War theft
Assigned to organize Civil War papers, he began stuffing them into his yellow legal pads and walking out with them.
The 146 stolen documents included the War Department’s announcement to the troops of President Lincoln’s death, an 1860 letter from famed Confederate cavalryman J.E.B. Stuart and an 1864 appeal for better pay from a group of Philadelphia women pressed into wartime jobs.
Abu Ghraib figure gets new job
By Tammy Bruce
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on nonprofit hospital
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Obama goes from lame to laughable in just one week
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again