- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
- Grijalva: Anti-trafficking law ‘line in the sand for many of us’
- Joe Biden: ‘Businesses are hiring at historic rates’
- Jeb Bush to Congress: Don’t use border crisis as excuse to delay immigration reform
POSTCARD FROM CARNOUSTIE
Question of the Day
Having sworn off Sergio for life, the Rover yesterday placed his annual British Open bets on Ernie Els (12-1), Jim Furyk (22-1), Geoff Ogilvy (50-1), Colin Montgomerie (50-1) and Sean O'Hair (125-1). Garcia (26-1), who has stolen almost as much money from the Rover as Uncle Sam over the years, is now near-certain to hoist the claret jug Sunday.
•In researching the similarities between Montgomerie and fellow career major bridesmaid Lighthorse Harry Cooper, the Rover came across a slew of fascinating tidbits. His favorite involved the origin of Cooper's nickname, which was apparently given to him by famed sportswriter Damon Runyon when Cooper won the 1926 Los Angeles Open, playing the final round in under two hours and 30 minutes. The best part of the story is a line in Runyon's copy discussing Cooper's caddie, who is described as "laboring to the finish behind his sprinting master beneath a bag carrying some 26 clubs." The USGA did not adopt the 14-club rule until 1939.
•The quote of the day comes courtesy of another golf writing legend, Dan Jenkins. When asked what he thought of the nasty weather (low 50s and drizzling rain) and similarly forbidding forecast, Jenkins replied immediately: "I hope this is the nicest day of the week. I like to see these [players] punished for making so much money."
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq