- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
POSTCARD FROM CARNOUSTIE
Question of the Day
Having sworn off Sergio for life, the Rover yesterday placed his annual British Open bets on Ernie Els (12-1), Jim Furyk (22-1), Geoff Ogilvy (50-1), Colin Montgomerie (50-1) and Sean O'Hair (125-1). Garcia (26-1), who has stolen almost as much money from the Rover as Uncle Sam over the years, is now near-certain to hoist the claret jug Sunday.
•In researching the similarities between Montgomerie and fellow career major bridesmaid Lighthorse Harry Cooper, the Rover came across a slew of fascinating tidbits. His favorite involved the origin of Cooper's nickname, which was apparently given to him by famed sportswriter Damon Runyon when Cooper won the 1926 Los Angeles Open, playing the final round in under two hours and 30 minutes. The best part of the story is a line in Runyon's copy discussing Cooper's caddie, who is described as "laboring to the finish behind his sprinting master beneath a bag carrying some 26 clubs." The USGA did not adopt the 14-club rule until 1939.
•The quote of the day comes courtesy of another golf writing legend, Dan Jenkins. When asked what he thought of the nasty weather (low 50s and drizzling rain) and similarly forbidding forecast, Jenkins replied immediately: "I hope this is the nicest day of the week. I like to see these [players] punished for making so much money."
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors