- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
POSTCARD FROM CARNOUSTIE
Question of the Day
• Unfortunately, the Rover’s favorite story subject at the 136th British Open didn’t play well enough to merit a column. Englishman Jon Bevan, a 40-year-old driving range pro from Ipswich, staggered to an opening 73 in the cold at Carnoustie.
Bevan was given an ultimatum — golf or marriage — by his wife of more than a decade a month ago. Bevan chose golf. She threw him out of the house, and Bevan entered the British Open’s qualifier at Downfield to prove the merit of his professional aspirations to his estranged bride.
In a mild shocker, Bevan won the qualifier (71-65) and spent his last shilling securing lodgings at Carnoustie. Over a few pints on Wednesday night, Bevan’s Irish caddie authored the Rover’s quote of the week when asked to describe his man: “Well, he hits it like [excrement]; most drunk cripples are better ball-strikers. But once he gets to the green, brother, he putts like Jesus Christ.”
• The Rover wants to know how obvious pro tennis wannabe Johan Edfors ended up as a golfer. Did he simply get in the wrong queue at the country club one morning?
— Barker Davis
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq