- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
- FBI failed to throughly vet Boston bombing suspect after Russian lead, report finds
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He’s a ‘scumbag’
- University: Help, our campus is too white
POSTCARD FROM CARNOUSTIE
The R&A needs to consider making Carnoustie the permanent home of the British Open. The two most dramatic Opens of the last decade — and two of the more compelling majors in modern history — have been produced by the Angus Monster. ...
c What was Stewart Cink thinking yesterday when he selected that navy-on-blue shirt that made him look as if he had been run over several times by a lorry? Memo to Stew: the tire-tracks look is out, brother. Your swing is ugly; your shirts don't have to be. ...
c The Rover would like to apologize to the Andres Romero family. After covering three straight events without an English-speaking winner (Memorial, K.J. Choi; U.S. Open, Angel Cabrera; AT&T National, Choi), the Rover channeled all his negative mojo toward Romero during the guiltless Argentine's double bogey, bogey finish. (Sorry, honey, the Golf Gods have been promised our fourth child.)
By the way, does anyone remember another player carding 10 birdies on a major Sunday? Methinks we haven't heard the last of young Romero. Perhaps between now and his next major uprising, someone could teach him just a few non-cliched English phrases. He can start with the following, both of which are guaranteed to energize a media center: a) "I am the Tucuman Tornado, and today I tormented the course and blew away the field with my merciless might." And b) "I choked like a dog on a chicken bone. The splinters of failure have left unspeakable scars on my soul." ...
c Finally, after leaving his clubs in the trunk all week while his back recovered, the Rover has tee times today at Carnoustie (9 a.m.) and St. Andrews (4 p.m.). Weep with envy ye slaves to target-golf munis.
— Barker Davis
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- PHILLIPS: What did Harry Reid know and when did he know it?
- Atlanta Braves flooded with Hank Aaron hate mail: He's a 'scumbag'
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes